So Jeremy & I officially decided this year that we won't celebrate Valentine's Day with the rest of the world. "But why?!", you may ask.
This would be our 4th V-Day together as a married couple. Previous years we've celebrated the day after, usually because of waiting for that 15th of the month paycheck. We figured there was no rule on having to celebrate the love day of the actual day. But by last year we realized the stress that couples (especially men) go through just trying to get that perfect gift. One year we spent way too much money on each other, on top of a nice dinner. I even got Jeremy a power drill before we even had a house for him to put it to use! And all because that's what Sears & other stores advertised as Valentine's gifts for men.
Go to any Walmart, Target, or any local pharmacy & you'll find men standing in the card section trying to find a card with writing that's pretty close to what they'd like to say.
And why should I want to get flowers, candy, or jewelry just like every other woman is getting from their man. What's original about that?!
So who said that every February 14th we have to express our love for each other? Shouldn't it be every day of the year?!
So no hearts & flowers for me. No trying to get a reservation for a popular restaurant. No special jewelry that probably 27% (guessimate) of other women are getting. It's just a regular day for us.
Now as for June 21st . . . now that's a special day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi! Well, I'm somewhat with you. We were super low-key with it this year. I don't think we should stress ourselves with any of these overly comercialized holidays. It just sets us up for disappointment. Now, I knew it would be no big deal this year, and we had a wonderful night. My honey cooked a fabulous dinner, brought me a few roses, I got him something super small, and then we went to church. It was so relaxing and nice. Nothing too big.
We couldn't agree more! We keep Valentine's Day very low-key as well. This year, I got the hubbie a card, and we went to dinner with my Dad and our new baby girl Emma. For the past 3 years, we've skipped Valentine's gifts and sometimes even Christmas gifts in an effort to save up for our anniversary. See, every year, we decide together to buy one big item that we need/want. For our first anniversary, it was a super-comfy pillow top mattress. For anniversary #2 we bought our much-loved iMac computer. This anniversary, we're saving up to buy a couch and chair for our living room. Nothing beats the excitement of buying a big ticket item together, especially when you don't have to use credit to do it!
Post a Comment