

This past weekend Jeremy & I took a much-needed vacation. It wasn't some 2 week long vacation to Hawaii but it was still wonderful & we're so thankful we got the chance.
We left Friday morning a little before 10 after running back into the house twice realizing something else we forgot to grab! We decided to stick with the directions provided by yahoo since where we were going was going to be completely uncharted territory for us & we didn't want to get lost. We were making good timing getting to drive 70 mph on the freeway until we hit a dead stop due to an accident on the other side of the road. For some reason, we were stopped as well. Looked like 2 tractor-trailer trucks collided & from the looks of the damage at least one driver may not have made it.
We drove through a lot of tiny towns & luckily my bladder was coorporating with me because there was nowhere to stop. Finally got to the town of Idebel, OK, about an hour south of our destination, & got lunch at Arby's (I couldn't believe this little town actually had an Arby's!). Further north we drove through Broken Bow which had a lot of cabin sites, some that we looked at on-line, but they were all so close together as if you were at the Wilds camp. 40 more miles north we came to CJ's Corner Store in Octavia. We were to turn left on some county road. Then we turned left down another one (by now we're in the woods). Turned right & went through a gate to what reminded us of too many crazy slasher movies. Go through another gate & we can see the cabin. It was located on 80 acres of land with one other cabin about 100 yards from ours. We tried calling the owner to check-in & had no reception. No surprise there. So we decided to walk around the area. Kaylee enjoyed getting to roam around without a leash. She's such a good dog that we don't worry about her running off.
We decided that we wanted to go out to eat somewhere local. Unfortuantly the only option was to drive 40 miles back to Broken Bow. We ate at The Oaks Steakhouse. Simple place. Everyone seemed to know each other. But on our way back we could see we were heading towards a storm. Got a great lightning show but then could smell smoke. So I'm thinking our cabin's gonna burn & poor Kaylee is inside it! Then it gets real foggy. And we're scanning for deer because we had already seen 2 dead deer on the side of the road when going to dinner. When we may it inside it started to rain & eventually marble-sized hail. I've lived in Texas for almost 4 years & hadn't seen hail & now I do when I go to Oklahoma!
Saturday morning we slept in. I jumped in the shower while Jeremy prepared breakfast. Once my shower was done the power went out. But we were hungry. So Jeremy heated up the grill & put the skillet on it & cooked the pancakes & sausage. And it was good! Quiet breakfast on our back porch looking at the mountains ahead. Then our water pressure started to drizzle out because it operated on an electric pump. That lasted for a few minutes & then it all came back on. Met our cabin's owner & he told us of a restaurant north of us on a mountain. So we thought that would be fun for lunch. We went up a mountain & back down in the valley. Then back up a mountain where we were driving along the crest of it! It was the coolest view! Found the restaurant called The Castle in the Sky which also had an inn. The buffet was ok but the desserts were incredible! So many choices that we couldn't decided! When we left the low fuel light was on. We were told that a mile away was a gas station that sometimes has gas! What?! If they didn't have any, we would have to try to make it to Mena, AR & I had doubt that we could make that 15-mile drive. Fortuantly, the guy had gas but it was another place that looked straight out of a scary movie.
Back at the cabin we decided to shoot some guns. We brought our shotgun & got to shoot it for the first time. It hurt my shoulder at first because I wasn't expecting it. We also had a .45 that our friend Pete let us borrow. I was pretty good but the kick-back on it made it hard to aim.
Saturday night we just heated up some pizza rolls since we had such a late lunch & we watched The Muppets Take Manhattan. Bought it in the $5 bin at Walmart. I'm glad I married someone who shares my love for the muppets!
Our drive back Saturday was pretty uneventful. We made it home a little faster because we found a more direct route.
All in all, we had a great time & would love to go back. Hopefully, it won't be so long before our next vacation!
2 comments:
Your pictures make me so jealous! I wanna go on vacation! Yes, I would love a little cheese with my whine. ;)
Your trip did look nice!!! Our next "vacation" is a move to VT. :)
By the way, hey, Sylvia!
Toady, I love this blog; now we can keep in touch maybe a little easier. :)
--Amy
Post a Comment