Saturday night we decided to run. Yes, it had rained earlier from some leftover Ike. And, yes, it was still windy, though not as windy as originally predicted. But we needed to run. I wanted one last good run before the official 5k.
The wind felt good because it kept us cool so we felt we had more energy than when we've run with the sun beating on us. But running into the wind isn't easy. You wouldn't think so but you do use up more energy running like that.
In the past I'd gone as far as 2 miles before needing to stop. And when I did it was for a breather & because my foot was falling asleep! So when we ran past the 2 mile marker & still felt great, I had an even greater desire to keep going. Jeremy had gone to the point when nothing hurt & got the boost of energy he needed. And my feet? Well, they were bothing tingly. Not sure why. But I wanted to keep going so I tried to ignore it & hope I could work through it just as I work through calf tightness. Eventually my left foot "woke up".
And as usual at the end we booked it. We run as fast as we can to use up the last bit of energy we have. As I crossed the bridge listening to Journey singing "Don't Stop Believing" (yeah, how great of timing was that?!) I almost cried. I finally ran an entire 3.16 miles without stopping! Little me, who used to get so winded having to run laps in the gym while on the volleyball team in high school. Now I'm running races.
Well, not yet, that is.
That was the milestone. Now here's the downer.
Yesterday I went online to register us for the 5k that we had been planning to run which was scheduled for this coming Saturday. But I couldn't find the page. It was just gone. After Jeremy looked around we learned that it had been cancelled.
Bummer.
All that work for this one race. Sure, I'm getting in better shape & I've accomplished something I didn't think I could do. But this was like the final exam for me.
So looking ahead we've found a race called the "Turkey Trot" on Thanksgiving morning. There's a 5k but also a 10k, which I am very tempted to try. I felt so great Saturday night that I think I have it in me to do more. This is all still very tentitive as it will depend on what kind of "condition" I may or may not be in at that point. But I've gotta have something else to work towards.
So until then I will try to meet some more milestones as I progress as a runner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment