Monday, December 21, 2009

Birthing class

Last Saturday we attended our all-day birthing class. Basically they let the parents know what to expect as far as the physical changes that go on during labor & find out what options they have. Most things I honestly already knew. I've done plenty of reading over the last 3 years & I've had family & friends who've had babies. Even Jeremy didn't feel like he learned anything new.

The best part of the day for us was the hospital tour. It was exciting to sit in a labor & delivery room & realize that in just a few weeks we'd be back in there to meet our daughter.

I was excited to learn that they provide a tub to help with contraction pain. If you're water is broken you can't get in there but there is at least a large shower in your room to use in its place. The nurses that taught the class & did the tour seemed to be very supportive of those of us wanting to go natural. I was afraid I would be mocked & told that I have no idea how painful childbirth is & can't handle it. Don't tell me what I can't do!

No, instead they suggested different ways to cope with the pain without the use of meds. So I left feeling more confident that natural childbirth is a possibility.

As for why I'm trying to go natural, I don't have a real reason other than I just feel like I have to try. I know it won't be easy. But neither was my half marathon. Running taught me that God designed our bodies to do a lot more than we give them credit for. I'm finding that a lot of things that are helping me prep for childbirth are very similar to marathon training. So I'll be drawing a lot of that to help me.

I'm not doing this for pride. Someone told me that she thought she'd be congratulated for not getting an epidural but no one treated her any differently than when she had one. If I am able to do it all natural, I won't view those who didn't any differently. This is just something for me. So all I ask is that when I go into labor that there are a lot of prayers for me. And for Jeremy as well since he's my coach & it'll be almost as exhausting for him as it'll be for me.

No comments: