Yesterday I heard that the Texas Senate is working on passing a bill that would change the normal way couples get a marriage license. Currently in Texas when I couple files for a marriage license, they pay a $30 fee & have to do so a few days before the intended wedding day. Apparently our government wants to make this process "easier" for the love birds. They are trying to pass a bill (that sounds like it will likely pass) which will waive the $30 fee & that wait if a couple will take an 8-hour "Prenuptial Preparation Class". If they opt out of the course, then the fee is doubled to $60.
Now I have some questions about this:
1. How many couples have time (especially the week of their wedding) to sit in an 8-hour class for anything?! I know that when I was getting married that last week was so busy & we were constantly on the go.
2. Who do you choose that is qualified to teach this course? How do you determine if someone is qualified to teach this course? What scale do you use to measure if the instructor has had a successful marriage?
3. If a Christian couple would rather have pre-martial counseling by their pastor rather than Joe Schmoe who only teaches from a humanistic viewpoint, why should they be punished for that with an extra fee?
I'm sure the folks who came up with this bill did it with good intentions. They see the statistics of divorce & believe that if they encourage couples to take this class, that it may increase successful marriages. But as long as couples go into marriage without placing God in the center of it, they will struggle. If the men won't take on the God-given role as leader & provider & if the women won't submit to their husbands & put their family & home ahead of their own desires, they will see marriage as just a "ball & chain".
So what would I do if in this situation? I would probably lean towards paying the extra $30 because I don't think I could comfortably sit through a class full of psycho-babble on loving yourself so you can love your spouse & other nonsense. Just a small way that I could make my statement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment