Friday, October 19, 2007

Lord of the Rings


I decided to start with my #1 favorite movie: Lord of the Rings. And I don’t separate it into 3 movies; to me it’s one long movie, about 11 ½ hours to be more accurate. And how do I know that? We’ve watched it all in one day once before & as soon as I finish reading Return of the King we plan to do it again!

Now I’m going on the assumption that most people have seen the movie at least once so I won’t give a synopsis of it. If you haven’t seen it yet . . . what’s wrong with you? (just kidding!)

Really, I don’t see how someone cannot enjoy this movie, despite its length. You’ve got plenty of action, some comedy, romance, & great drama. But for nearly 12 hours it better have everything in it!

I saw The Fellowship of the Ring when it first came out but had no idea what it was all about. Seriously. I saw previews & thought it looked cool. After watching it once, it still had me totally confused & I couldn’t keep characters straight. But then I started dating Jeremy, who had been reading the books since he was a kid. So I watched it more & more & became a bigger fan.

My favorite character is probably Sam. He remained a loyal friend to Frodo, even when Frodo was being turned by Gollum & the Ring. The scene when Sam picks Frodo up on his shoulders always gets me when Sam says “I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you.” I get that lump in my throat every time I see that scene!

I like each part of the trilogy for different reasons. Fellowship of the Ring is lighter & has a lot of character development. And when I watch it I feel bad for the hobbits because they have no idea what they are getting into. The Two Towers really gets into more battles. I love the scene when Saruman is speaking to his Uruk-hai army & this tear rolls down Wormtongue’s cheek as he sees the massive army. Just watch some old WW2 documentaries of Hitler & it is very eerie. Finally with Return of the King you get what every movie should have: a happy ending where evil fails & good prevails. There are too many movies now where the good guys don’t stand out like they used to but with LOTR there’s no question.

Other than the movie itself, the soundtrack is awesome. I love listening to it & figuring out what part of the movie it is. Enya has a beautiful voice & works well with the soundtrack. And anytime I hear “Into the West” I want to cry.

I was very happy when at the 2004 Oscar Awards Return of the King won awards in every category it was nominated in, including Best Picture. I normally don’t care about the Oscars & who wins what but that year I was very excited that this movie was honored for being more than just a fantasy movie loved by nerds.

For a while I didn’t feel right saying I was a Lord of the Rings “fan” when all I knew was the movie. So after some persuasion from Jeremy (not too much though) I finally started reading it. It was hard to get started but I’m coming along. As of now I am almost halfway through the final book. There will probably be a future blog on that accomplishment when it happens.
So that is the best that I can sum up on why I love Lord of the Rings. The movie is huge so it’s really hard to explain in a simple paragraph or two. But if this at least gets you wanting to watch LOTR again, then that makes two of us!

No comments: