For the past couple years I've been used to people asking if Jeremy & I have any kids yet. And I always give the simple answer of "Not yet". Sometimes it bothers me a little because of losing our first baby, even if it was very early on. But today someone really got to me.
I was finishing up an auto policy for a new customer. I already didn't like him because I couldn't tell if he was joking about me not going fast enough. He had an old DUI still on his record causing him to have a very expensive rate. Oh, and was insuring a $100k Mercedes! As I was printing the forms he was looking at my pictures & saw one of me & Jeremy from my birthday a couple years ago & asked if that was my husband & then asked if we had any kids. And I, as usual, said "Not yet". He immediately came back with this shock of "Why not?!" that sounded like nails on a chalk board. I wanted to yell back "BECAUSE I LOST MY BABY, JERK!!! WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU ASK WHY!!!". But I didn't. I was calm & before I could come up with an answer he kinda interrupted with a comment about having trouble & I finally said that we lost our first one. And then he tried to make me feel better by telling me the story of a couple he knows who lost 8 & eventually had twins.
Well, that doesn't take away the pain of losing one! Most days I'm pretty good. It's only by the grace of God I have recovered like I have. But I do still get "those moments" & this was definitely one of them.
I make this request as a woman who was secretly trying to get pregnant & one who has gone through a lose but isn't wearing a sign on her back announcing it: When you're wondering why a couple hasn't had a baby yet, maybe it's not just because they're not ready. Maybe they are trying & God hasn't blessed them in that yet. Or maybe they have gone through a lose & are still dealing with that grief & don't want to be made to feel bad for not having children yet. I'm just sayin' folks, THINK!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can just about guarantee this guy took an extra stupid pill this morning. Love you guys!
The next time someone asks that of you turn it around and say why do you ask? Suddenly the pressure is on them!
Hi Shelly, this is Damara, I just happened across your blog. My prayers are with you. I went through 4yrs of people asking me when we were going to have children and fertility treatments and then we adopted the twins. It is not fun! I pray that God will bless you with a child to hold in your arms! We are now members of Worth Baptist Church. I do miss a lot of my friendships that I made at FBC. May God richly bless you...
Post a Comment