
Ok, if you’ve managed to miss this movie despite it being on TV every Christmas, well, that’s just un-American! If you need a quick rundown of the movie I suggest that you go here for a 30-second version of it.
As for the rest of us, if you’re like me you could probably quote most if not all of the movie. I’ve never really thought of it as a Christmas movie because I could watch it anytime of the year.
The overall theme of the movie is that every life matters & makes a difference in the world. You see this after George wishes he’d never been born & gets to see what his community would be like without him. What always gets me is how he affected lives not directly connected to him. At the beginning of the movie you see that he rescued his little brother from drowning in the icy pond. It was doing this that saved the lives of soldiers on two transports in WW2 because his brother was able to shoot down the planes heading for them. Wow!
Jimmy Stewart is such a great classic actor. The look on his face when he finally gets what’s going on (after seeing his wife Mary as a spinster) has me completely convinced that he is that character. And as I’m sitting here typing this I’m actually getting a little teary-eyed thinking of when he runs in his house to hug his kids & wife!
I also just love movies based on that time period. There is something about the WW2 era that has always interested me. I love the music & the way people dressed back then. And patriotism seemed to be more prominent back then compared to today.
It’s a Wonderful Life is one of my Christmas traditions (along with the Muppet’s Christmas Carol) & I hope it can be one of yours, too!
As for the rest of us, if you’re like me you could probably quote most if not all of the movie. I’ve never really thought of it as a Christmas movie because I could watch it anytime of the year.
The overall theme of the movie is that every life matters & makes a difference in the world. You see this after George wishes he’d never been born & gets to see what his community would be like without him. What always gets me is how he affected lives not directly connected to him. At the beginning of the movie you see that he rescued his little brother from drowning in the icy pond. It was doing this that saved the lives of soldiers on two transports in WW2 because his brother was able to shoot down the planes heading for them. Wow!
Jimmy Stewart is such a great classic actor. The look on his face when he finally gets what’s going on (after seeing his wife Mary as a spinster) has me completely convinced that he is that character. And as I’m sitting here typing this I’m actually getting a little teary-eyed thinking of when he runs in his house to hug his kids & wife!
I also just love movies based on that time period. There is something about the WW2 era that has always interested me. I love the music & the way people dressed back then. And patriotism seemed to be more prominent back then compared to today.
It’s a Wonderful Life is one of my Christmas traditions (along with the Muppet’s Christmas Carol) & I hope it can be one of yours, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment