
The more I blog the more blogging ideas I come up with. For today it will be the story of how Jeremy & I got together. All together now . . . Awwwww!
It was our last year at BJU about 6 years ago. I was a cheerleader for his society Pi Gamma Delta (kinda like a fraternity but not). It had actually been my 3rd year cheering for these guys. Jeremy never went to any games. He just didn’t care, until that year. He decided to start going. And I assume it was the first soccer game that he was there & saw me. He had a little freshman with him who said he wanted to ask me out. Jeremy talked him out of it saying I was out of his league & older than he thought. But he couldn’t figure out what year I was because I looked so young but knew too many of the people there to just be a freshman.
Well, he didn’t approach me yet. He was also in a campus choir which my best friend Joy was also a part of. The choir was sitting together for lunch one day & talking about who they liked & they asked Jeremy. Well, he happened to see me nearby & pointed me out & that’s when Joy spoke up & said she knew me! So Jeremy became friends with her & got to know more about me through her.
After a couple more soccer games we finally met. I still remember first seeing him because he was one of the louder guys cheering. But I had never seen him at games before so I would assume he was a freshman but he looked too old to be a freshman! Later that game we cheerleaders were talking with the guys & trying to get the guys to actually learn our names (actually they knew me but not the other girls). Jeremy was going through their names & got to me & said “And you’re the one called Toad”. Of course I had to know how he knew that special name of mine & I learned that he knew Joy.
For the remainder of that semester we talked here & there, usually at games. I’ve been told that there were a couple times that he’d pass me on a sidewalk & say hi & I was completely oblivious to him. Not good for a guy’s ego!
Then the Thanksgiving Artist Series was coming up soon (a Shakespearian play that I can’t remember). I had no one to go with. Jeremy finally got up the courage to call me & asked me to go with him. I said yes & something along the lines of “I needed someone to go with anyway”. Again, not good for his ego!
We had lunch together the day of the Artist Series & was the first time to really talk. All along I had no idea that he really liked me. I just saw him as another good friend.
We gave each other gifts for Artist Series (dates do that there a lot). He gave me a bunch of gummy frogs that he drove all over town to find. And I got him a little Star Wars LEGO toy. Someone must have told me he was a Star Wars fan. When he went back to his dorm that night all the guys couldn’t believe I gave him that & said he were meant for each other.
I found out that he was going to be home for all of Christmas break but would be staying in town with his sister & brother-in-law. He said they’d be driving a week later to Texas for Christmas. The night he left I called him (can’t remember how I got his cell phone number). My intention was to help keep him awake for a while. We ended up talking for 2 hours, which he later paid for when that bill came. Then Christmas morning he called me. I remember my dad asking who he was & I said he was just a friend & he thought there was more. Little did I know there would be. We talked a lot over that break & I realized that I was starting to like him more than just a friend.
And when I needed a ride back to Greenville for the next semester, he drove the 4 hours from Greenville to my house to get me & take me to school. Once we were at school it didn’t take long until we were “official”. One thing I appreciated was that he didn’t pressure me into a relationship. He didn’t tell me that he liked me or that he wanted me to be his girlfriend. We spent that time just establishing a friendship. Being in an environment that forbid any physical contact kept us from being like so many couples our age were. And we think that helped us to have the kind of relationship we do now, where we can call each other our best friend.
So we first met in October 2001. Started dating in January 2002. We were engaged that December & then married on June 21, 2003. And that is the story of us.
It was our last year at BJU about 6 years ago. I was a cheerleader for his society Pi Gamma Delta (kinda like a fraternity but not). It had actually been my 3rd year cheering for these guys. Jeremy never went to any games. He just didn’t care, until that year. He decided to start going. And I assume it was the first soccer game that he was there & saw me. He had a little freshman with him who said he wanted to ask me out. Jeremy talked him out of it saying I was out of his league & older than he thought. But he couldn’t figure out what year I was because I looked so young but knew too many of the people there to just be a freshman.
Well, he didn’t approach me yet. He was also in a campus choir which my best friend Joy was also a part of. The choir was sitting together for lunch one day & talking about who they liked & they asked Jeremy. Well, he happened to see me nearby & pointed me out & that’s when Joy spoke up & said she knew me! So Jeremy became friends with her & got to know more about me through her.
After a couple more soccer games we finally met. I still remember first seeing him because he was one of the louder guys cheering. But I had never seen him at games before so I would assume he was a freshman but he looked too old to be a freshman! Later that game we cheerleaders were talking with the guys & trying to get the guys to actually learn our names (actually they knew me but not the other girls). Jeremy was going through their names & got to me & said “And you’re the one called Toad”. Of course I had to know how he knew that special name of mine & I learned that he knew Joy.
For the remainder of that semester we talked here & there, usually at games. I’ve been told that there were a couple times that he’d pass me on a sidewalk & say hi & I was completely oblivious to him. Not good for a guy’s ego!
Then the Thanksgiving Artist Series was coming up soon (a Shakespearian play that I can’t remember). I had no one to go with. Jeremy finally got up the courage to call me & asked me to go with him. I said yes & something along the lines of “I needed someone to go with anyway”. Again, not good for his ego!
We had lunch together the day of the Artist Series & was the first time to really talk. All along I had no idea that he really liked me. I just saw him as another good friend.
We gave each other gifts for Artist Series (dates do that there a lot). He gave me a bunch of gummy frogs that he drove all over town to find. And I got him a little Star Wars LEGO toy. Someone must have told me he was a Star Wars fan. When he went back to his dorm that night all the guys couldn’t believe I gave him that & said he were meant for each other.
I found out that he was going to be home for all of Christmas break but would be staying in town with his sister & brother-in-law. He said they’d be driving a week later to Texas for Christmas. The night he left I called him (can’t remember how I got his cell phone number). My intention was to help keep him awake for a while. We ended up talking for 2 hours, which he later paid for when that bill came. Then Christmas morning he called me. I remember my dad asking who he was & I said he was just a friend & he thought there was more. Little did I know there would be. We talked a lot over that break & I realized that I was starting to like him more than just a friend.
And when I needed a ride back to Greenville for the next semester, he drove the 4 hours from Greenville to my house to get me & take me to school. Once we were at school it didn’t take long until we were “official”. One thing I appreciated was that he didn’t pressure me into a relationship. He didn’t tell me that he liked me or that he wanted me to be his girlfriend. We spent that time just establishing a friendship. Being in an environment that forbid any physical contact kept us from being like so many couples our age were. And we think that helped us to have the kind of relationship we do now, where we can call each other our best friend.
So we first met in October 2001. Started dating in January 2002. We were engaged that December & then married on June 21, 2003. And that is the story of us.
1 comment:
Awwwww... You look like a baby (as in young) in that picture!
Truly though, that was sweet. When ya know...ya know. Ya know?
Post a Comment