Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Famous Septuplets


Last night Jeremy & I watched an episode of NBC's Dateline that we had recorded a week ago. It was on the McCaughey family, or as most people know them, the family that had 7 babies.

Just go here to get a run-down of their story.

The kids are now 10 years old so we got a chance to see how the kids have grown & changed & see their unique personalities.

During the show, they brought up how when the McCaughey's found out that there were 7 babies in there they were told to consider "selective reduction". These folks are Christians so they didn't need a chance to think about it. Bobbie is famously quoted saying, "Well, come to our house, and tell me which four I shouldn't have had!" Well said! Watching those kids laugh & be silly just brought me to tears to think that people actually thought that "selective reduction" was a better option.

I remained pretty emotional throughout the episode with just different things the kids would say. The oldest sister Mikayla, who was 18-months old when her siblings were born, talked about how she wished she could take her sister Alexis' place so Alexis wouldn't have to live with cerebral palsy. It was comments like that that kept me & Jeremy fighting back tears.

And what I love even more about watching that is that Jeremy isn't freaked out about the idea of having a lot of kids. He actually wants a big family, or at least as big as God will give me. If it's 2, that's fine. But if God blesses us with 5 or 6 or 10, that's fine too! I love that man!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yeah!!!!! Big families are great!!! If Monk and I had met even five years earlier, we'd probably have about 8 or 9 about now!! heehee!