Friday, January 18, 2008

Becky Homecky Wannabe


Yep, that's me! I wanna be "Becky Homecky".

I figure once I become a stay-at-home momma that I'll really be able to dive into the cooking & crafting & baking. But for now I'm just practicing.

I can do a few things. I am capable of sewing, and not just buttons! I have made one skirt. And you can tell it was made by a newbie sewer. The zipper doesn't look real good. But it's cute for hot summer days.

I can crochet. I've done lots of scarves. And as a Christmas present to my new nephew Lincoln, I made my first baby blanket.

Cooking was the one thing I was most afraid of when getting married. I've never been great in the kitchen. Maybe I was just intimidated by it. But my senior year of college I did take a cooking class & was able to try my hand at simple veggie sides or main courses & even making candy & cream puffs! I am capable of making a pie from scratch, even the crust.

And now I am excited to be making my very first Amish Friendship Bread. What is it? I dunno but I hear it's good. A friend from church gave me the start & then you work on it for a few days & eventually divide it to give to other friends & use the remaining mix for your bread.

It's little baby steps but I am slowly becoming the little housewife I've always wanted to be!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah for homemaking!!

I didn't know you could crochet? You've been keeping things from me Shelley! Tell ya what...I help you with cooking easy recipes that will knock your husbands socks off and you can teach me to crochet! Deal? I'm even making homemade pizza tonite. I know...I'm amazing, huh? lol!

Puhleeeeez!

Shelly said...

Michelle,

I'll do my best to teach ya. There's other types of stitching I haven't learned yet but don't think it would be that hard. Once you get the basic stitching down it's pretty easy. And great busy work for long car drives!

Sylvia said...

I LOVE friendship bread. Mmmm. I wish someone would give me some starter! I'm so jealous. My mouth is actually watering right now. ;)