Friday, June 27, 2008

We've got an escape artist on our hands!


This morning started like any other morning. I rolled out of bed, showered, gathered up my make-up & mirror & headed downstairs. I filled Keira's bowl with her breakfast & got out Kaylee's treats. I then went to the backdoor to let the dogs in. Kaylee came but not Keira. I looked out the door & didn't see her. I walked to the other end of the house & at the front there was a board in the fence where the nail had come out. Looked like it had been pushed.


I went out front but no Keira. Called her but she didn't come.


To make it all much worse, her collar was off. We take them off at night so the tags to rattle & wake us up. I normally put their collars on when I let them in for "breakfast".


So I walked up our street & went around to the street that runs behind our house. I was so scared that I'd see in laying in the road because there are cars that go pretty fast on that road sometimes.


So then I got in the car & drove our regular walking route. No luck with the first lap.


During this I was frantically trying to call Jeremy. He had turned his phone off the night before to save the battery & it was still off. I called his work phone over & over again but no answer. I thought that maybe if a co-worker heard the phone ring 20 times that someone would answer & see what's going on. So memo to any of his co-workers that may read this: If Jeremy's phone rings multiple times, it's probably me trying to reach him. Please answer it!


Anyway, I eventually got a hold of him on his cell when he turned it on. He had just gotten to work & decided to come back home to help me.


I decided to drive around again but decided to try the streets we don't walk. Through up one that has 3 culdasacs off it & thought I'd swing through them just to cover my bases. The 2nd one I went through I found her. She just popped out from the side of a house all happy to see me. I swear dogs can smile!


Keeping what I've learned from the Dog Whisperer I got out of the car & stayed calm & called her to me. She came willingly but when she got to me she, um, had an accident. She still has a weak bladder & will do that if she gets scared or when she's in trouble. So maybe she sensed an "energy" from me. An energy that said "I'm gonna kill you for putting me through that".


So today Keira is in her crate in the house since the fence needs to be fixed. But we'll need to be sure all spots around the yard are sealed up because now that she's done it once she may try again.


Let me tell ya! That is a scary feeling to think you've lost your dog. She has her annoyances, mostly because she's a puppy, but I still love her & she's been a bright addition to our family.


Ya know, with the size of those ears, you'd think she could hear me calling her name from 5 miles away!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Thank God she didn't stray far from home!
My cats always tried to escape and when they did, they would always come back when they would hear their treats container being rattled.

I have heard dog whistles work well too for escape puppy dogs...

Blessings from a future Texan (4 more days to go!)

~ Dawn