Friday, August 8, 2008

A Running Update

Thought I'd give an update on how my running is going so no one thinks I quit. I'm no quitter. I'll quit when I get a + sign on a little stick!

Jeremy's been a great running partner. It really helps having someone doing the same thing with you & encouraging you to keep going. He decided that we would start running outside & do the 5k route that he's mapped out. At first I thought he was crazy. But each time has gotten better. Usually I can go about a half mile at a time before needing to stop & stretch my calves & walk a little.

But this week I hit a milestone. I was able to run each full mile! We'd stop at the mile marker, stretch for a couple minutes, walk a minute, & then get going again.

The first mile was probably the hardest. I had some tightness in my right calf to work out. But after that I was fine. I barely needed to stretch at the 2 mile marker.

We also increased our speed a little. So I was finally actually getting winded. Before it was just barely a step up above a very fast-paced walk.

The weather has actually been a little cooler this week. We've gone from being 100+ degrees during the day to maybe 97. And who knew that running in 90 degrees instead of 95 degrees would make you feel like a cool front had come in?!

The whole 5k took us 50 minutes. Still not great timing but we shaved off close to 10 minutes because of the increased speed & less stopping.

I tried running last night on the treadmill but only got a mile in. I was just too exhausted from the night before. I also don't think I had enough calories in me.

So we'll have a go at it again tomorrow morning. As much as I love sleeping in on Saturday mornings, I'm loving getting up early (like 8:00 at the latest, & yes, that's early for me) & starting my day with a good run.

So for the first time this week I really feel like I'll be able to do my 5k next month. Just gotta train more on hills because there's a really rough hill in downtown Ft. Worth & I won't let it get me down.

Eye of the tiger, baby. Eye of the tiger.

3 comments:

Jedi Miller said...

it's weird no one ever comments when you talk about exercising, same thing happens on my blog, hmmm....

Shelly said...

Speaking of, we're still waiting for your Jedi Movie reviews . . .

Michelle said...

I was going to comment - you just didn't give me a chance! And Jed - if you'd actually post more than once a month I would be more inclined to comment! :-p
I don't envy your running because personally, I hate it and don't understand it. Of course, it has to be better than yoga. I do envy your drive and determination though.

"dun, dun, dun,, dun, risin' up..." I'll be singing that dern song all night now!