Monday, November 10, 2008

A Comforting Thought . . . from the Lord of the Rings?

Go ahead. Call me a nerd. I don't care.

Yesterday Jeremy & I started the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Watching the entire trilogy (extended versions, of course) takes 11 1/2 hours. Since we don't have that kind of free time, we're doing it a little at a time. So we started Fellowship of the Ring yesterday afternoon & finished in last night after church. We'll probably watch Two Towers next Sunday.

In the first movie there is a short conversation between Frodo & Gandolf that I don't remember being in the book. But it's always stuck out to me, along with other moments in the entire trilogy. But I won't go too nerdy on you & list them all!

Anyway, I can't help but find a comforting truth in what Gandolf says to Frodo. No, I am not replacing God's Word with the words of Tolkein (or Peter Jackson in this case). But I think we can find truths about God in places where people may have not intended them to be there.

Let me also say that I'm not one of those people who thinks Tolkein was trying to use his book as an analogy of Christ or the Christian life. I enjoy it purely for entertainment & the fantasy story. But I do wonder about certain parts of the book if there are deeper meanings to it.

Anyhoo, this is just a favorite line from the trilogy. Take it how you like.

Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

~Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

No comments: