Monday, November 24, 2008

Turkey Trot, here I come!

I am 3 days away from my first official 5k race! Sure, I've run a 5k plenty of times on the route that Jeremy & I have adjusted a few times & also on the treadmill. But now I will actually have an official race time, with a chip & everything. I'm so excited!

But I'm also getting nervous. And I blame it on the prometrium.

On Saturday Jeremy & I ran on our newly-routed 5k. A 5k is supposed to be 3.16 miles. We've worked through the map & have it at 3.23 miles. Close enough. So this past Saturday was also my first time to run the route in the cold. It does something different to your lungs to breath in that cold air. Definitely added more work on me. But I could definitely tell I was more tired than normal, and not just because of the cold air.

I slowed down a lot in the last mile, but I never stopped. I thought about it, but part of running is really pushing your body to do more than you normally do. Not to the point of hurting yourself but I've learned to not quit everything time I get tired.

So of course crossing the bridge at the end of the run got me emotional. But I can blame the prometrium on that, too.

This run is very important to me. Running is something I used to hate doing. And I didn't think I could ever run even a whole mile. Now I'm running over 3 miles.

But this run is important for another reason. I started running after the 4th miscarriage. It gave me something else to focus on. And after the 5th miscarriage I wanted to run just to help with the stress of it.

So I am dedicating this run to those losses. I don't care if this sounds cheesy. But there will be 1 kilometer for each baby. I don't think the race will have markers for the kilometers; probably just mile markers. But it will give me an extra bit of motivation to finish.

Please pray for me on Thursday. I want to do well & finish with a good time (staying under 42 minutes). The race is at 8:00am.

Yes, I am waking up early to run on my only day off!

2 comments:

Jeremy and Sarah said...

Yay! Good luck and make sure you take a few pictures so everyone can see!!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Good Luck tomorrow! I'm sure you'll do great :-)