Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Running Update

We're still running & getting better. The longest I've been able to go without stopping is 7 miles on the treadmill. I felt great that night & just kept right on going. I was also fueling myself with a few Hershey's Kisses. Is that counter-productive?

Anyway, the next big race is Cowtown. Last year Jeremy ran the full marathon. You can read about it here. I was so proud of him that day. He wishes he had made a better time but with his calf cramping up at mile 16 & beyond, I'm proud that he kept on going & finished. That's more than what some people can do.

We were going to just do the 10k for Cowtown & just try to improve our speed. There was no way Jeremy had time to train for a marthon again with him in school last semester. But then we heard about this cool new medal their giving out to anyone who completes the half marathon (13.1 miles), full marathon (26.2 miles) or the ultra marathon (31 miles). Jeremy just had to have it. So we've bumped up to training for the half marathon.

So far it's going pretty good. Last Saturday we attempted to run 8 miles outside. We had to stop a couple times due to my right foot falling asleep (his did once, too) & then just because we were exhausted. But we finished it none the less.

This Saturday we'll do the 8 miles again & hopefully run it non-stop. If so, then the next Saturday we'll do 10 miles. And assuming we don't run that one non-stop we'll do it again the following Saturday. And then the Saturday after that (28th) is Cowtown.

We may not come out with the greatest time but we will finish. I'm so excited about this. I'm already trying to figure out what my running outfit will be, because that is of greatest importance.

Training for the half marathon has given me something else to focus on other than all the baby stuff. It's also been another bonding experience for me & Jeremy. We try to be interested in the things each other is into so I know he's enjoyed having his wife as his running partner. I'd recommend any wives reading this to try to get interested in what your husband is interested in, whether it be a video game (I've done that & love playing them with Jeremy now) or a sports game (so thankful I don't have to deal with that one) or whatever else there may be. It's a whole different way to say "I love you" to each other.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm impressed that you are even trying...Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of doing what your husband/partner likes to do. Aaron likes to deer hunt so guess what I learned to do. Shoot a gun and I have went squirrel hunting with him. I would love to go with him and shoot a bigger one that he does just to show him up. Still praying for you. Let us know how the race goes.
Christy Short