Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pregnant Brain is REAL!

Have you heard of a condition called "pregnant brain"? It's said that a pregnant woman's brain cells either shrink or just plain disappear. So she'll be a little absent-minded, forgetting where she left her keys & things like that.

Well, I've got it. Usually it comes in the form of misspelling words in my Facebook status. There was one time I meant to say that the baby was 2 inches long but instead I typed 2 FEET. That would be one big baby!

Pregnant brain has come out at work, too. I try not to make a big deal since I feel that it's a little touchy right now with my job & my pregnancy & certainly don't want to have my new absent-mindedness used against me. So we won't mention the time that I accidentally cancelled a customer's auto policy when I was supposed to just cancel one car from the policy. Yikes!

Well, this past Sunday my pregnant brain caused me to make the biggest blunder yet. It was the 5th Sunday of the month so that meant a fellowship after the morning service at church. I was making my yummy green bean casserole. Got all the ingredients in with proper measurements. Placed it in the oven with no problems. While it cooked I went to put hot rollers in my hair (which later turned me into a cross of Shirley Temple & little orphan Annie!). After the 25 minutes of baking, I came downstairs, got the hot pads out, & took it out of the oven so I could sprinkle the rest of the french fried onions on top.

Then pregnant brain kicked in.

I then picked up the casserole dish by the sides WITHOUT THE HOT PADS! I think it only took a second for me to realize my mistake & I promptly dropped it on the kitchen floor.

Initially I was more focused on my burning fingers to realize that the green beans that had splashed up my left leg were burning my leg. Once I wiped them off I could see the rest of the damage I had done.

Of course I was an emotional mess. I was in pain, had ruined the dish I had planned to bring to church, & felt completely stupid to do something like that.

Jeremy drove up to the store & got some burn cream which eventually helped. I was left with some red marks on my knee but then this one burn actually bubbled up. It's still there & I won't dare pop it.

The whole pregnancy Jeremy has tried to watch after me & keep me from lifting heavy stuff & using cleaning products & just anyway he can to protect. Now he's gonna have to protect me from myself!

2 comments:

Jeremy and Sarah said...

Oh, no! I hope your burn heals quickly!! Don't feel bad about dropping/forgetting stuff. I do it all the time and I'm not even pregnant!

Emily Baker said...

Yup, definitely a real thing! I once left my keys in the ignition of my car and left it unlocked all night at my apartment complex!