
Today is December 7, 2007. It marks the 66th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.


I have had the privilege of visiting the Pearl Harbor Memorial in Hawaii. When my father was still in the army, we were sent to Hawaii in August of 1991. I was 11. I think we made 2 visits to the memorial during our 14-month stay in Hawaii. If I had a scanner, I'd post my own pictures on here, but alas, our's broke a couple years ago.

Anyway, what will always stand out to me is inside the memorial. There is a wall at the rear of it with the names of every man who went down with the U.S.S. Arizona. Out of the 1,177 men on board, 1,102 lost their lives.
When we were in Hawaii the 50th anniversary took place. President Bush Sr. came. But being a kid I still didn't quite grasp what this place meant.
I grew up hearing of people talk about where they were when they heard about the attack on Pearl Harbor. There are becoming less & less of those people now. Now my children will hear people share stories of where they were on 9/11/01.
So today we thank the men who fought & died on that day.

1 comment:
I also had the opportunity to visit Pearl Harbor. I was a little bit older, so I was totally touched by the place and took pictures of everything I could. I made a promise to always remember that day and the people that died. I have the same picture of the wall at the back with all the names and thinking wow that is a lot, but now it seems small compared to 9/11/01
Post a Comment