Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Favorite Christmas Songs


Probably my favorite thing about this time of year is Christmas music. I just can't get enough of it. And, like most people, I have my favorites. But I want to know your favorites, too. So I'm breaking this up in 2 categories: Christmas Carols (songs that are about what Christmas is actually about) & "secular" Christmas songs (songs that are what many people think Christmas is about).

So here are my favorites:

"O Holy Night" - There are lots of carols I love to sing and this is one I can't sing very well with that great high note in the final chorus. Last week I was listening to the "Christmas station" that plays Christmas music all day (though it could use more carols in the mix). I heard this song & when getting to that final chorus it just gave me chills, not just for the music but the words declaring,



"Christ is the Lord. O praise His name forever. His power
and glory evermore proclaim. His power and glory evermore
proclaim."

Granted, it was Celine Dion singing it & the "His power & glory" part was replace to just singing the word "Noel" & I don't think she quite got the awesomeness of declaring "Christ is the Lord" but none the less, it gave me chills.

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" - When I was younger I had a cassette tape (yes, I am old enough to remember those!) & it was piano arrangements to different Christmas songs. This song was one on the tape & I wanted so bad to someday play like that. It was just sweet & pretty. I still can't play like that but I still love the song.

So what songs do you like?

3 comments:

Jedi Miller said...

"Carol of the bells"

"We Three Kings Of Orient Are"
I like the lyrics and tune (better yet if you haven't see the California Raisins do it you are missing out, go-on google it I'll wait)

We three kings of Orient are,
Bearing gifts we traverse afar,
Field and fountain, morr and mountain,
Following yonder Star.
(Chorus)

O, star of wonder, star of might,
Star with royal beauty bright,
Westward leading, still proceeding,
Guide us to the Perfect Light. (I like that they refer to Jesus as the Perfect Light in this song.)

Jedi Miller said...

I found the california raisins Christmas special. Enjoy. The first part has the camels :)

http://www.guba.com/watch/2000906156

TheMadMonk said...

I like your selection of "Have Youself a Merry Little Christmas", but for an entirely different reason.

I see this song of being the quintessential secular Christmas song. Many have written songs excluding Christ about this time of year, but this one has some especially poignant words that describe a life without Christ.

"Though the years we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow"

A life that is muddled through because it is controlled by the fates. A life without Christ, indeed.