Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hi. My name is Shelly & I like to watch American Idol.



Hi, Shelly.

Yes, I’ll admit. I don’t know what it is but I love that show! And it starts back tonight! Yah!

I haven’t been a fan of the show since the beginning. Here’s my history with the show.

I didn’t watch Season 1 because I was still at BJU & had no access to a tv. I saw the finale of Season 2 because I heard that one of the contestants, Clay Aiken, was from NC. And he had a great voice! I even bought his single that had his cheesy “This is the night” final performance song. Season 3 is where we (me & Jeremy) started watching it but was bored by the end because it looked like Fantasia would win (and did) & we just didn’t care for her voice. And my favorites had already been voted off. So it was Season 4 that we became full-time watchers & Season 5 was my first season to ever actually vote! Season 6 was just ok but we still watched it because somehow it’s a show we just can’t get away from.

I am hopeful for Season 7 that they’ve made some changes because the show is starting to lose steam. However, with the writer’s strike still going on & a lack of normal programming this may be A.I.’s highest rated season ever.

But I would still appreciate it if they wouldn’t focus so much on all those bad singers that come to the auditions. I love it when a great voice sings a cappella in that room & just blows you away! I would also like more background on the contestants. And make it more evenly spread. Last season when they got to the top 24 there were contestants we never saw before so it wasn’t surprising to see them go home early because we had no way to connect to them early on. One change I’ve heard that I hope is true is that they will allow singers to use musical instruments that they can play. So I hope to see some pianos, guitars, or even harmonicas this season!

I plan to blog with each episode giving my own reviews on the singers. It’ll keep me busy but I’m excited to get my opinion out there, whether it’s wanted to be heard or not.

So if you are afraid to admit that you are a fan of American Idol (*I do wish we could have another name other that “Idol”; so I’ll refer to it as A.I. from this point on), may my courage to come forward help you & feel free to give your feedback on each show as well.

2 comments:

Jedi Miller said...

Hi, my name is Jeremy and I watch American Idol.

Michelle said...

Not watching anymore. Just can't take it. I'm now in rehab as a recovering Idol-aholic. I think I'll just pick my toes this evening.

BTW, loved Dr. C!!