Monday, January 14, 2008

Prometrium

I’ve already mentioned before that my doctor has prescribed a progesterone supplement called Prometrium to me to help me sustain a future pregnancy. I’m supposed to take it on days 15 to 28 of each cycle & I assume when I get a positive pregnancy test I’ll continue taking it daily through the 1st trimester.

Well, after taking the first round of it I figured out that I really don’t like the stuff! Last month I started getting a little hopeful because I was getting some symptoms very similar to my typical pregnancy symptoms, one being an increased appetite. It wasn’t to the point of starvation mode as I’ve had when pregnant but it was definitely not normal. I was also getting tired a lot & was way more emotional than normal. Well, obviously I found out that these were not pregnancy symptoms as I had hoped but were just side effects of the hormone. So now I don’t like this stuff! It’s totally messed with my head & taunted with my emotions.

And on Saturday night (*I take it at night because it causes sleepiness & dizziness) I started the 2nd round of it & my Sunday afternoon I was feeling the effects. I took a little nap that took about 2 hours to fully wake up from. I started getting a little headache in church. And I was getting very emotional in choir practice. Granted, the song we were practicing has incredible words (read them here) but I’m not usually so emotional.

There was one positive out of starting prometrium this month. When I went to the Walmart pharmacy on Friday to pick it up, I learned that with our insurance changing to Aetna for prescriptions we don’t have a co-pay & Aetna pays for it 100%! That was a big blessing because it costs $27 for 14 pills!

So if you see me & I seem to have less energy, blame it on the prometrium!

2 comments:

Jedi Miller said...

ooo yeah baout the whole co-pay thing. Instead of us getting a credit card with our spending account money on it. Aetna is in charge of our spending account and they spend it for us. The pharmacy just can't see that part they just see that it's paid for. We still have to meet our medical perscription deductable and our regular medical deductable. I just found out a few mins ago... yay...
:(

Michelle said...

Oh girl. Oh girl. Do I know where you are coming from? OH YES I DO!! I do NOT like the Prometrium and I took myself off of it per my chiropractor's advice. I didn't have the pregnancy symptoms, but it did funky things to me. Joint pain and other nice things. I am now taking natural sublingual progesterone. No side effects whatsoever.
Then today I remembered that about a year after my miscarriage in 2005 someone suggested to me to take Vitex (which is basically chaste berry), it herbal. It helps to naturally regulate hormonal things, etc.. and I was pregnant with Hope within 3 months. Not sure if it's something you're interested in, but it is an alternative.
Also, about the words to that song...they TEAR - ME - UP! I can hardly get through it. I wanted to post the words on my blog too, but hadn't got around to it. If I do, please don't think I copied...:)
Sorry for my book, I just miss you!

BTW, my appt with Dr. C is tomorrow (yikes)!