Monday, February 11, 2008

Phantom of the Opera


I know it’s been a while since I’ve written about any of my favorite movies & am sure my many fans are just dying to know more about the movies that are lucky enough to be called my favorites. Right.

I think each movie in the list represents different genres of movies I love. So representing my love for movies with good music is The Phantom of the Opera.

I was first introduced to the musical while in college. Music from major Broadway musicals just weren’t emphasized in a small Christian school in Hickory, NC. But right away I fell in love with the music. I even bought a piano arrangement of “All I ask of You” & still love playing it.

So when I found out that a movie version of the play was going to come out I was very excited. I felt just a little more cultured buying that movie ticket than most other tickets.

I think Emmy Rossum had some very big shoes to fill since Sarah Brightman was the original Christine in the 1986 debut of the play. But I think she did very well. She was a little less operatic so that was a nice change. The Phantom is the one that I see bigger differences in. When you listen to Michael Crawford as the Phantom, he comes off more ghost-like & more terrifying. You can watch him here. But with Gerald Butler he seems a little more human but doesn’t quite have the power in his voice as Crawford. But he still sings “Music of the Night” beautifully. Here you hear both Butler & Rossum. Minnie Driver does a great job as Carlotta. And who knew she can actually sing? She’s the one singing “Learn to be Lonely” in the end credits. You can hear that here.

In the summer on 2005 Jeremy & I had the opportunity to see the musical in Houston. We could see how the movie was slightly changed but can’t really say I prefer one over the other. The movie is great because it’s a lot easier & cheaper to watch it in your living room. But there is nothing like seeing it live & hearing “Masquerade”.

At the beginning I mentioned how “Phantom” represents my love for movies with good music. Note that I didn’t just say musicals, though there are plenty I love (Sound of Music, Annie, Moulin Rouge just to name a few). But I love a good soundtrack. That’s probably why I still like Titanic. I’ve outgrown the craze I had for it in high school for Leo but still love the beautiful soundtrack.

Up next will be a movie that represents the few romantic movies I genuinely like. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm ashamed to admit it...I've never seen it. I want to though! I'll have to remember to rent it because everyone that I know that has seen it absolutely loves it.