Friday, April 11, 2008

Our New Puppy - Keira Leigh Miller

First, let me apoligize for being MIA for so long. The last 3 weeks have been, well, eventful.
A co-worker of Jeremy's told him that she had puppies. 9 puppies! Her dog, a German Shepherd, was days away from getting fixed. Well, she was left alone for one night with a friend's lab & got knocked up. She had a litter of 10. One was a runt & later died after getting something stuck in its throat. She was able to give away most of the pups to family & friends but still had 3 left. Jeremy showed me the pictures.

Now, let me first say that I have said for quite a while that one big dog was enough for me & I was not ready for another one. We'd start all over again on behavior & house training, get shots, more food. I didn't intend to get another dog for a long time.

But after seeing those precious faces & those big paws, all that just went out the window!

We went through the positives & negatives of getting a puppy. What finally made us decide to get her was realizing that now was the best time to get a puppy. We could have her trained before having kids. It would be much harder to train a dog when there's a baby in the house or even later when that baby's a toddler. We'd end up waiting years for one.

So we got her! And she is just the cutest thing! I love having a little puppy that I can actually hold. When we got Kaylee at 10 weeks old she was already 25 lbs.! But Keira, at only 7 weeks was 12 pounds.

House training is still going on & isn't easy. She went about a week with no accidents until this past Monday.

But nighttime is what is trying our patience. The 2 nights were definitely the worst. We have her sleep in a crate in our room right next to our bed. She would bark & whine & howl about every 2 hours. She is already preparing us for those nighttime wake-ups by a baby, just without the feeding! Nearly 3 weeks later nighttime is still a struggle. But she is slowly improving. She isn't fighting us to get in the crate & goes to sleep. It's just that she'll wake up at 4am realizing she's still in the crate & go nuts & we have to quiet her down. So I'm hoping that at some point I will get a full night's sleep again.

And how has Kaylee taken to her new little sister? They seem to be doing very well together. They play a lot together but Kaylee is so gentle with her & lets Keira just climb all over her. It's really cute!
I would just like to take this time to say that this is my 99th post! I can't believe I've had that many posts. Stupid AI took up a lot I think (which, by the way, I still watch but have no desire to blog about anymore. Too boring.). I will hopefully get my 100th post up at some point this weekend. And I promise it will be a good one!
Stay tuned!

No comments: