Tuesday, May 13, 2008

13 Viles of Blood Later . . .

Yesterday I went back to the doctor to start the testing. It's something I've been anxious to get going but also nervous about it. What will they find? Or will they even find anything? But we want answers so we can get the green light to start a family again.

They gave me the paperwork to take to Quest Diagnostics & I counted 13 different things they were testing. And you know what that means? 13 viles of blood! Yikes! It was 12 little viles & 1 big one. I'm wondering which is the lucky one to need the bigger vile. Surprisingly I didn't pass out & was able to walk out unassisted.

I've been reading around on what they test. One site that gave some helpful information is this one. The disorder that has my interest is antinuclear antibodies. And why? Because I realized that 7 years ago I had bloodwork drawn & came back positive for ANA. This is why I was tested for lupus. 95% of lupus patients have a positive ANA. But after further checking it was determined that I didn't have lupus so I left it at that. Now I'm wondering if that doctor should have told me that having a positive ANA would cause fertility problems.

And to give you an idea of what those results were back then, get this. A normal ANA level is between 1:20 - 1:40 (I don't know why it looks like time). Anything over 1:40 is considered a problem. I looked at my records & it came back at 1:320! So I am very curious if this is the problem & what my results will show.

It will probably take at least a couple weeks for the results to get in because there is basically DNA testing being done. As far as I know they will call me to come in & will go over the results at that time. And if they find the problem we'll go over the game plan.

So for now, we wait.