Thursday, May 8, 2008

So What If I Were Paraplegic Instead?

I found this earlier this week & thought it was so smart. This is for all women out there that have dealt with infertility in some way.

So, what do you think people would say to you if you were paraplegic instead of suffering from infertility?

As soon as you buy a wheelchair, I bet you'll be able to walk again!

You can't use your legs? Boy, I wish I was paralyzed. I get so tired of walking, and if I were paralyzed I wouldn't have to walk anywhere!

My cousin was paralyzed but she started shaving her legs in the other direction and she could walk again. You should try that.

Oh, I know exactly how you feel, because I have an ingrown toenail.

Sorry, we don't cover treatment for paraplegia, because it's not a life-threatening illness.

So... When are *you* going to start walking?

Oh, I have just the opposite problem. I have to walk everywhere I go!

But don't you *want* to walk?

You're just trying too hard. Relax and you'll be able to walk.

You're so lucky... think of the money you save on shoes.

I don't know why you're being so selfish. You should at least be happy that *I* can walk.

Just relax; you'll be walking in no time.

You're being selfish, not coming on the hike
with us, and looking at all of my track & field trophies.


If you just lose weight your legs will work again.

You are just trying too hard to walk. Give up, and then you'll walk.

Here, touch my legs, then you'll walk!

Just take a vacation, and the stress-break will be sure to get you walking!

And I bet a paraplegic going to a bookstore doesn't find books about paralysis stacked next to all the books on
running.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought of the two being compared in that way. It is interesting to read. I can't believe anyone would be that inconsiderate. Since I deal with para's all the time, both are dealing with a loss of a function that your body naturally should be able to perform. Thanks for putting in perspective.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly, I was just reading through your recent blogs and wanted you to know that I'm praying for you and for Jeremy.

Stephanie Rohloff said...

Such a great post! It is funny all the things that people can think up to say, and this comparison is brilliant!...I would love to place a link you post on my blog, please let me know if you would like me to remove it.