"Be Still My Soul" is a hymn I've mentioned before that I just cannot sing through without getting choaked up. I've always known just 3 verses, which I posted here.
Well, we sang it in church Sunday night. When it was announced where to open in our hymnals Jeremy & I just gave each other a look of "Oh, this isn't going to be good."
We got through the first 2 verses ok. I tried to actually not think about the words, not something I would normally admit to but I'll do it if it keeps me from being a blubbering mess & then just read over the words later.
Well, then we got to a whole new verse to us. And right away we have voices cracking & holding back tears. This is the 3rd verse:
Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.
You'd think that those words had been written just for us!
I finally just had to drop out & not sing the rest of the hymn. As much as I love this song & how much of a comfort it is to me, I just can't sing it.
Sure hope we don't get a choir arrangement of it! Otherwise our choir will just be short 1 alto & 1 tenor for that service!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hey!!! you stole my post. grrrr!
You can also count out one soprano! I have yet to make it all the way through that song without a major voice crack in the least.
Post a Comment