After having beautiful weather in the 80s here, a cold front came through. That's Texas weather for ya! It was 35 degrees when we started the race at 7:30. However, with wind gusts of 20 to 30 mph, it felt like it was below freezing. I had my whole outfit picked out & was gonna be so cute. Well, I was still cute but really cold!
Before we started we both drank a 5 hour energy drink. We usually split them but this time we had our own. It made me feel so goooooood! I was just hyper & talkative & randomly sang whatever was on my ipod. Why wouldn't anyone want to hear some Jounrney.
"Don't stop believing . . . "
Before we started we both drank a 5 hour energy drink. We usually split them but this time we had our own. It made me feel so goooooood! I was just hyper & talkative & randomly sang whatever was on my ipod. Why wouldn't anyone want to hear some Jounrney."Don't stop believing . . . "
Anyway, somewhere after mile 7 I realized that I needed to get serious. I was reaching that point where I'd be running further than I ever had before.
After mile 9 we did a lot of walking. Jeremy's calves started tightening up & he needed to stop & stretch them out to keep them from completely siezing up. That's what happened to him in his marathon last year which had him in a lot of pain. I had decided to not keep running. I probably could have kept going but not for too much longer on my own. Those hills were rough & not something we trained for.
We at least made sure to run the rest of the way in once we turned on Main St. And we held hands coming in hoping to get lots of pictures taken of us. And it worked!
So now what? Well, this week we're resting. I've done some light jogs & walking to loosen up. Jeremy is completely resting since he came down with a cold on Monday. At least it waited until after the race.
Next week we'll start training to increase our speed. We typically run a 13:30. That's 13 min., 30 sec. per mile. We'd like to get it down to a 10 min. mile. Then we'll find a 5k to run in the next month or so. And we'll just keep going increasing mileage & look to do the full marathon next year.
Yes, unless the Lord has different plans for me, I will be running a full marathon next year. And I'll be running it with my husband which is even better.

1 comment:
Race for the Cure 5k is on April 11 in Sundance Square. You might look into that one.
Post a Comment