Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Way to go, Miss California!

Does anyone watch the Miss USA or Miss America pageants anymore?

Well, if you haven't seen the news yet, there was a Miss USA pageant & Miss North Carolina won. Woo hoo! Runner up was Miss California & she believes she lost the crown because of this question.

Good for her for not being politically-correct but standing up for what she believes in! And was I mistaken that I heard a lot of cheers when she gave her opinion?

But of course she's being blasted for her opinion. The guy who asked her the question is a well-known celebrity gossip columnist. He's completely foul so I would never recommend reading his blog. Let's just say he is extremely angry at her for her answer. I saw a news clip of him on MSNBC where he says he's not angry at her opinion but for how she answered the question.

Well, how else was she going to answer the question?! You asked her if she thinks every state should allow gay marriage. It's either a yes or a no. You wanted her to answer yes. She answered no. So she disagrees with you. And now you're going to pitch a hissyfit & call her nasty names.

So apparently having free speech is only allowed when it's the speech the media & liberals want you to speak.

Well, I'm glad she was honest. I wonder if there are other public figures out there that have the same opinion but are afraid to voice it because they have to be P.C. Maybe Carrie Prejean will be one to encourage others to speak out.

3 comments:

Lorena said...

I don't disagree with you that she answered in a way that she believed and should be patted on the back for not bowing to the pressure. However, I have a hard time swallowing the entitled attitude in which she is currently handling this "fiasco."

For example, she told Fox News "If I had any other question, I know I would have won." Then she told Billy Bush, "It did cost me my crown." Excuse me, but that's awfully presumptive.

Considering that there were five other women up there, only one of which managed to completely mess up their question, that left four women who are all equally qualified for this position. To then presume or assume that this answer cost her "MY crown" is completely belittling to the other women standing on that platform, particularly Miss North Carolina, who I personally believe was the rightful recipient based on the answer section. Remember, Perez Hilton was only one of the judges - there were plenty of others who could have overruled him if they had thought she should win.

I do not judge her for her opinion on gay marriage, as I [mostly] agree with her. I judge her for her entitled, belittling, and dismissive attitude since the decision was made.

Lorena said...

Sorry about breaking out my own personal soapbox. :) Incidentally, I do agree with you also that the treatment she's received in the media has been very unfair to her based on her beliefs. SO I'm torn as to how to react to her.

Shelly said...

No worries. I'll admit I haven't watched all the coverage of her yet to see those remarks, other than her losing the crown for that question. It's hard to say if it's true. I'd hope not but how can we know? But I wish she could just say "that's what I believe" & leave it at that.