Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What's Going On

So last post I said that Jeremy & I had a lot of big decisions to make. With every test coming back normal, we’ve been coming closer & closer to the category of “unexplained infertility”. **Side note: Again, I will say I don’t classify myself as infertile since I can get pregnant. But they gotta put women with recurrent pregnancy loss (RPL) somewhere & that’s the best fit.

Yesterday I had my last affordable option with my RE. It was a hysteosonogram which gives a better look into the uterus to be sure there’s nothing in there keeping me from sustaining a pregnancy. Once again, I checked out normal. I’m as healthy as they can for a woman in her fertile years. That’s a blessing, but at the same time, it’s frustrating. It’s so hard for me to believe that there’s no other medical reason for all the losses.

The next step with the RE would be PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis) & IVF. However, this is not covered under our insurance. So we’d be looking at $10k+. And it’s still not a guarantee since we don't know for sure if it's just bad embryos. No doctor can say 100% that IVF will result in a healthy pregnancy. But that is one expensive gamble.

So Jeremy & I have decided to go the other route: adoption.

When we finally made the decision that this is our best option to start a family, it was pretty tough. We just felt so defeated. We had talked about it before but figured we would adopt after having a couple kids. So finally coming out & telling others of our decision was scary & we basically felt like we’re exposing ourselves as far as emotions go. There was that fear that people won’t be welcoming or supportive of our decision. We would never want our child to be treated differently. Thankfully, we’ve had great responses so far & already getting great advice.

We haven’t completed started the adoption process as far as with an agency yet. We are currently looking at different agencies in Texas & Oklahoma to educate ourselves on the process & what kind of costs we’re looking at. Let me tell you! It ain’t cheap! But my soapbox on that topic will be for a later blog.

So now that we’re pretty much announcing it to all of cyberspace & Facebook, I ask for all the support we can get. If you have any advice, encouraging words, websites, agencies, information, or whatever else, please pass it along. I will do my best to update my blog with anything new as things happen. But since we’re not giving ourselves a timeline on when to pick an agency, there’s no telling when things will change.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey, Toad. I am happy for you. I hope that doesn't sound bad, but I'm happy that you have the next step now. I've been praying for you. My brother adopted a son and is on his way to FL to settle the adoption of his daughter. This is exciting! God has the perfect child for you and Jeremy! And that child needs you so much. We'll be praying; I know how hard it can be to wait and not know, but God is good. Love you.

Jeremy and Sarah said...

I think it's great! There are so many kids out there who need homes. . . especially good Christian homes! We'll be praying for you as well. I know that you guys are prayerfully considering any option and THAT is encouraging to me to see that you can still say, "God is good." Praying for you ALWAYS!