Friday, February 22, 2008

My Oscar Picks



The Oscars is this coming Sunday night and, no, I will not be watching it. The only ceremonies I think I’ve ever watched were in 1998 when Titanic was the big movie then (I was in high school & loved Leo like every other girl, ok!) & in 2004 for Return of the King when a fantasy movie was finally recognized as Oscar-worthy.

Pretty much every year the movies that are nominated for Best Picture (side note: who calls movies “pictures” anymore?!) I don’t plan on seeing. Sometimes Jeremy & I have rented them later on to see what the big deal was but from my observation in order for a movie to be nominated as Best Picture it needs to be really boring, overly dramatic, lots of language, & some nudity. So that must be why my Oscar picks weren’t nominated!

So here are my picks for Best Picture in order of their release dates:

Transformers – First let me say that it was made by Michael Bay who put out other big budget movies like Pearl Harbor, Armegeddon, & The Island. And the critics hate him. Maybe because he makes the kind of movies people want to see & not boring oscar-worthy movies. This was one of those movies where I laughed, cried, & had me very excited for all the action.

Stardust – Jeremy & I went to see this hopeful that it would be a good fantasy movie. There aren’t too many good ones out there beside LOTR & Narnia. But this one did not disappoint us. It was very funny. It was filmed in Ireland & Scotland so the wide shots of the land are just beautiful. Makes me want to visit those 2 countries even more! You get a clear good guy which isn’t easy to find nowadays. The soundtrack is great. The song at the end credits is called “Rule the World” & when you hear the song after seeing the movie you understand how well it fits. You can hear it here with some movie clips. It also has a very sweet love story that actually made me cry. I just love how she would "light up" whenever he was around her!

Enchated – When I first saw the preview for this one I knew I just had to see it. It’s just like a typical Disney princess-type movie with the talking animals & singing & falling in love at the drop of a hat. But I love how marriage was seen as very important. I wish we could have more of that in movies. The music was great. My favorite song was “That’s How You Know” & you can see it here. “He knows this song, too? I’ve never heard this song.” Ah, cracks me up! Amy Adams was great. I wish she was recognized for her acting ability in this but it’s probably just seen as a silly family movie. But you try being on some kind of weird happy high like that!

I Am Legend – Other than movies with great music & action, I also love a good scary movie. Something with good scares that make you jump in your seat. This one had that. And I also love a lot of Will Smith’s movies. One of my favorites is still Independence Day. Other favorites are Men in Black, I, Robot & The Pursuit of Happiness. If I remember correctly I don’t think I heard any language in it. A lot of the movie is just him & his dog living in a deserted New York City fighting some creatures. It was another one where I laughed & cried. The whole movie was great but I would have liked the ending to be slightly different. That’s all I’ll say about that though.

Cloverfield – I’ve already done a review here of it here so there’s not much more to say about it. But I would love to see it again so I could be looking out for possible clues. There are rumors of a sequel coming out which may tell the story from another group. I just hope it’s as good because most sequel are very disappointing.

And who would win the award? I think I’d have to give it to Stardust. It was just so much better than I thought it would be & a movie I could watch again & again

As for the other categories:

Best Actor – Based on my favorite movies, the award would go to Will Smith. Really can’t say much without giving it away but he was very good.

Best Actress – Definitely Amy Adams! And she can sing, too!

Best Soundtrack – That’s really a tie for me with Stardust & Enchanted. It’s really hard to pick.

So there you go. If the Oscars were done my way these would be my winners. And the ceremony would only take a 30-minute time slot!

No comments: