Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Coffee is my cigarette

I used to wonder why smokers say it's so hard to quit. Just do it! How hard can it be?

Well, in a warped way, I understand their struggle.

I cut coffee out of my diet in April of 2007. Once we decided to start trying to have family in December '06 I started weaning myself off the regular coffee & switching to decaf. Going cold turkey would have killed me! So I would mix decaf beans with my regular beans. Little by little I was using more decaf until I was drinking nothing but decaf. It was great! I didn't notice a different flavor (some say there is a difference) & I wasn't having terrible headaches on days I skipped my cup of joe.

Then when I got pregnant the first time I stopped drinking it altogether. Even though they say you can have some coffee during pregnancy, I was gonna do my best to refrain.

After the loss I was still going coffee-free. Then I realized that the hives I had suffered from for 7 years was suddenly gone. My only theory is that I am allergic to coffee. The only way to be sure would be to start drinking it daily for an unknown amount of time & see what happens. Honestly, I don't care enough to try that.

So since I rarely enjoy some java, the few times I do are something special. I mean, I seriously want more when I'm done drinking. It's like an addiction for me. I can't explain the feeling I get when I drink it. It just feels . . . so . . . good!

So that's why I can understand how a smoker feels. Now excuse me while I try to not think of walking to Starbucks for a ginersnap latte.

2 comments:

Jeremy and Sarah said...

That's funny...I never really thought about it. I used to drink coffee every single day and when I didn't, I'd get the headaches too. I was really sick one time for about a week and I couldn't drink it at all...ever since then, I've tried not to drink it daily. I, like you, still want to...

Sarah said...

On my second cup right now.