
Last year I proclaimed to the world that Jeremy & I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. Read it here.
We're still sticking to it this year. Some people probably just don't understand. Why wouldn't I want my husband to shower me with gifts & take me out to a great dinner?! But I really just don't care.
It's funny because when you're single you hate this day so much because you have no one to celebrate it with. And our first Valentine's Day was very special. Jeremy took me to dinner at my favorite Japanese steakhouse (YUM!) & got me 2 dozen pink roses (they were supposed to be fire & ice but no florist had them in season). My post about our story has a picture from that night.
The following year we were doing the long distance thing & were engaged at that point. I think he sent me flowers & got me Sweet Home Alabama. I made him a scrapbook of everything since we started dating.
The next year we "celebrated" V-Day a couple weeks later by spending a weekend in San Antonio & staying in a fancy hotel.
And each year it's kinda become less & less of a big deal. We considered doing something this year & we could say that using our free night at the Hilton at DFW Lakes last Friday was for V-Day but it really wasn't. It was just a good time to use it & we just needed to get away & relax.
I'm also way too practical. I don't really like to get flowers a lot because they can be expensive & just die anyway. Chocolate & candy are great but I really don't need extra calories tempting me, especially when my prometrium is making me extra hungry. I would love more jewlry but it's not something we can afford.
I prefer expressing our love for each other by the little things. Spending time together, like walking Kaylee in the cold or enjoying an episode of X-Files or watching LOTR in one day. I aboslutely love it when Jeremy will help me around the house, especially when the prometrium has knocked out all my energy. And he's always very thankful for just preparing his lunch for the next day.
We just don't need to have the rest of the world tell us when & how we should declare our love for each other. Plus, the day is so commercialized that it really doesn't put you in a romantic mood, just as the over-commercialized Christmas holiday can distract you from what it is really about.
And just to show how little I've put thought into this day, I didn't even consider wearing red. Instead I picked out black pants & a gray sweater. Could I be wearing anything more gloomy today?!
1 comment:
We are very low key as well. We prefer to make it a family affair. Ken did buy me some special chocolates that I love because well...he's a good man, but other than that we pretty much proclaim our love to one another daily, not just once a year. :)
Post a Comment